- Diversity and Inclusiveness
- Associate Professor of Philosophy
Nandi Theunissen (PhD Columbia) is an associate professor of philosophy. She works on foundational topics in ethics with a focus on the nature of value, including the value of humanity. She is currently thinking about excellence, the well-lived life, and our relationship to ourselves.
- The Value of Humanity. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2020.
- Richard Kraut, "Review of The Value of Humanity, by L. Nandi Theunissen," Mind, 2020. pdf
- Rory O'Connell, "Review of The Value of Humanity, by Nandi Theunissen." Philosophy 96.3 (July 2021):486-490. pdf
- Kenneth Walden, "Review of The Value of Humanity, by L. Nandi Theunissen," Ethics 131.4 (2021): 808-812. pdf
- Theptawee Chokvasin, "Review of The Value of Humanity, by Nandi Theunissen," Suranaree Journal of Social Science, Vol. 14.No. 1, 147-148. pdf
- Richard Kraut and David Sussman. 2021. “Author Meets Critics: Nandi Theunissen, The Value of Humanity.” In Central APA, February 2021.
- “Ethics Review Forum: Theunissen’s The Value of Humanity, Reviewed by Walden,” Pea Soup (blog), July 16, 2021.
- Rethinking the Value of Humanity. Edited by Sarah Buss and Nandi Theunissen. Oxford: Oxford University Press, Jan. 2023.
ARTICLES & BOOK CHAPTERS
- “Kant’s Commitment to Metaphysics of Morals,” European Journal of Philosophy, Vol. 24, Iss. 1 (accepted 2013; in print 2016): pp. 103-128.
- “Must We Be Just Plain Good? On Regress Arguments for the Value of Humanity,” Ethics, 128, No. 2 (2018): pp. 346-372.
- “Explaining the Value of Human Beings.” In Rethinking the Value of Humanity, edited by Sarah Buss and Nandi Theunissen. Oxford: Oxford University Press, Jan. 2023.
- “Realism about the Good For Human Beings: On Virtue and the Beneficial.” The Oxford Handbook of Moral Realism, with commentary by Mark Schroeder, Simon Blackburn, and Timothy Williamson, edited by Paul Bloomfield and David Copp. Oxford: Oxford University Press, forthcoming.
- "Activity, Consciousness, and Well-Being." Analysis, forthcoming.
- “The New Mooreans,” under review.
- "Iris Murdoch on the Self," The Sovereignty of the Good 50 After, edited by Carla Bagnoli and Brad Cokelet. Cambridge: Cambridge Philosophical Anniversaries.
- “The Value of Intellectual and Aesthetic Activity: A Critique of Ross,” a volume on W. D. Ross, edited by Robert Audi, David Phillips, Philip Stratton-Lake, in progress.
- “On Pleasure and the Good,” in progress.
- Second book project: Reclaiming The Beneficial