- Associate Professor of Philosophy
Nandi Theunissen (PhD Columbia 2012) is an associate professor of philosophy. Before joining the department in 2018 Nandi was Duane L. Peterson assistant professor at Johns Hopkins University. She works on theoretical topics in ethics, with a focus on the nature of value.
- The Value of Humanity. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2020.
- Richard Kraut, "Review of The Value of Humanity, by L. Nandi Theunissen," Mind, 2020. https://academic.oup.com/mind/advance-article-abstract/doi/10.1093/mind/fzaa029/5857285.pdf
- Rory O'Connell, "Review of The Value of Humanity, by Nandi Theunissen." Philosophy 96.3 (July 2021):486-490. pdf
- Kenneth Walden, "Review of The Value of Humanity, by L. Nandi Theunissen," Ethics 131.4 (2021): 808-812. pdf
- Theptawee Chokvasin, "Review of The Value of Humanity, by Nandi Theunissen," Suranaree Journal of Social Science, Vol. 14.No. 1, 147-148. pdf
- Richard Kraut and David Sussman. 2021. “Author Meets Critics: Nandi Theunissen, The Value of Humanity.” In Central APA, February 2021.
- “Ethics Review Forum: Theunissen’s The Value of Humanity, Reviewed by Walden,” Pea Soup (blog), July 16, 2021. https://peasoup.deptcpanel.princeton.edu/2021/07/ethics-review-forum-theunissens-the-value-of-humanity/
- Rethinking the Value of Humanity. Edited by Sarah Buss and Nandi Theunissen. Oxford: Oxford University Press, in production.
ARTICLES & BOOK CHAPTERS
- “Kant’s Commitment to Metaphysics of Morals,” European Journal of Philosophy, Vol. 24, Iss. 1 (accepted 2013; in print 2016): pp. 103-128.
- “Must We Be Just Plain Good? On Regress Arguments for the Value of Humanity,” Ethics, 128, No. 2 (2018): pp. 346-372.
- “Explaining the Value of Human Beings.” In Rethinking the Value of Humanity, edited by Sarah Buss and Nandi Theunissen. Oxford: Oxford University Press, forthcoming.
- “Realism about the Good For Human Beings: On Virtue and the Beneficial.” The Oxford Handbook of Moral Realism, with commentary by Mark Schroeder, Simon Blackburn, and Timothy Williamson, edited by Paul Bloomfield and David Copp. Oxford: Oxford University Press, forthcoming.
- "On the Value of Valuing," book symposium for Richard Kraut's The Quality of Life, Analysis, forthcoming.
- “The New Mooreans,” under review.
- "Iris Murdoch on the Self," The Sovereignty of the Good 50 After, edited by Carla Bagnoli and Brad Cokelet. Cambridge: Cambridge Philosophical Anniversaries.
- “On Advice,” in progress.
- “On Pleasure and the Good,” in progress.
- Second book project: Reclaiming The Beneficial