Alan Ross Anderson Distinguished Professor of Philosophy
Note: The preprint version of an article may differ from the printed version in minor ways.
Philosopical Logic Publications
Truth, Meaning, Experience, New York: Oxford University Press, 2011, 270 pp.
“Definitions,” in Edward N. Zalta (ed.), Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (Summer 2008 edition). (Free Access)
“Finite Circular Definitions,” in Thomas Bolander, Vincent F. Hendricks, and Stig Andur Andersen (eds.), Self-Reference, CSLI Publications, 2006, pp. 79-93. (Preprint: pdf )
Review of Tim Maudlin’s Truth and Paradox, Mind 115, 2006, pp. 163-165. (Printed Version: link)
“Partially Defined Predicates and Semantic Pathology,” Philosophy and Phenomenological Research 65, 2002, pp. 402-409. (Printed Version: link)
“Truth,” in Lou Goble (ed.), The Blackwell Guide to Philosophical Logic, Blackwell Publishers, 2001, pp. 90-114.
“Definition and Revision: A Response to McGee and Martin,” Philosophical Issues 8, 1997, pp. 419-443. (Printed Version: link)
- Also reprinted with a postscript in my Truth, Meaning, Experience, Oxford University Press, 2011, pp. 164-95.
“The Liar Paradox,” in The Encyclopedia of Philosophy Supplement, Macmillan Publishing Company, 1996, pp. 299-301.
“Reply to Robert Koons” (written with Nuel Belnap), Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic 35, 1994, pp. 632-636. (Free Access )
Six entries in Ted Honderich (ed.), Oxford Companion to Philosophy, Oxford University Press, 1995.
“On Circular Concepts,” in André Chapuis and Anil Gupta (eds.), Circularity, Definition and Truth, Indian Council of Philosophical Research, 2000, pp. 123-153.
- Polish translation by Irena Trzcieniecka-Schneider, “O Pojęciach Cyrkularnych,” in Ewy Żarnecka-Bialy and Irena Trzcieniecka-Schneider (eds.), Komunikaty i Argumenty, Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu Jagielloñskiego, 2002, pp. 19-44.
- Also reprinted in my Truth, Meaning Experience, Oxford University Press, 2011, pp. 95-134.
Circularity, Definition and Truth (co-edited with André Chapuis), New Delhi: Indian Council of Philosophical Research, 2000. Distributed outside India by Ridgeview Publishing Company, Atascadero CA.
The Revision Theory of Truth (written with Nuel Belnap), Cambridge: The MIT Press, 1993, 299 pp. (Book Page)
“A Calculus for Definitions” (abstract), in Volume I of Abstracts of the Ninth International Congress of Logic, Methodology, and Philosophy of Science, Uppsala, Sweden, 1991. Reprinted in Journal of Symbolic Logic 58, 1993, p. 760. (Printed Version: link)
“Two Theorems concerning Stability,” in J. Michael Dunn and Anil Gupta (eds.), Truth or Consequences, Kluwer Academic Press, 1990, pp. 49-60.
Truth or Consequences: Essays in Honor of Nuel Belnap, (co-edited with J. Michael Dunn), Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1990.
Critical Notice of Jon Barwise and John Etchemendy’s The Liar, Philosophy of Science 56, 1989, pp. 697-709. (Printed Version: link)
“Remarks on Definitions and the Concept of Truth,” Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society 89, 1988-89, pp. 227-246. (Printed Version: link)
- Reprinted in Patrick Grim, Gary Mar, and Peter Williams (eds.), The Philosopher’s Annual 12, Ridgeview Publishing Company, 1991, pp. 67-86.
- Also reprinted in my Truth, Meaning Experience, Oxford University Press, 2011, pp. 73-94.
“The Meaning of Truth,” in Ernest LePore (ed.), New Directions in Semantics, Academic Press, 1987, pp. 453-480.
“A Fixed Point Theorem for the Weak Kleene Valuation Scheme” (written with Robert L. Martin), Journal of Philosophical Logic 13, 1984, pp. 131-135. (Printed Version: link)
- A correction to this paper appears in Journal of Philosophical Logic 14, 1985, p. 229. (Printed Version: link)
“Truth and Paradox,” Journal of Philosophical Logic 11, 1982, pp. 1-60. (Printed Version: link)
- Revised version with a brief “Postscript 1983” is reprinted in Robert L. Martin (ed.), Recent Essays on Truth and the Liar Paradox, Oxford University Press, 1984.
“Truth and Paradox” (abstract), Journal of Philosophy 78, 1981, pp. 735-736.
“A Consecution Calculus for Positive Relevant Implication with Necessity” (written with Nuel Belnap and J. Michael Dunn), Journal of Philosophical Logic 9, 1980, pp. 343-362. (Printed Version: link)
- Revised version is reprinted in Alan Anderson, Nuel Belnap, and J. Michael Dunn, Entailment (Vol. II), Princeton University Press, 1992.
The Logic of Common Nouns, New Haven: Yale University Press, 1980, 142 pp. (Book Page)
“A Theory of Conditionals in the Context of Branching Time” (written with Richmond Thomason), The Philosophical Review 89, 1980, pp. 65-90. (Printed Version: link)
- Reprinted in William Harper, Robert Stalnaker, and Glenn Pearce (eds.), Ifs: Conditionals, Belief, Decision, Chance, and Time, D. Reidel Publishing Company, 1981.
“Modal Logic and Truth,” Journal of Philosophical Logic 7, 1978, pp. 441-472. (Printed Version: link)
- Revised version, with a new section IV, is reprinted in The Logic of Common Nouns. (Book Page)